Dr. Elias Zois was born in Athens, Greece. He received the B.Sc. degree in Physics in 1994, the M.Sc. degree in electronics in 1997 and his PhD in 2000, all from the Department of Physics, University of Patras, Greece. He holds a Lecturer position since 2009 and a Assistant Professor position from 2015. His main research interests include digital signal and image processing, system implementation and pattern recognition with emphasis to handwriting biometry. He is currently teaching the Signals & Systems (6th Semeter), Digital Signal Processing (7th semester), Digital Image Processing - Pattern Recognition (8th semester) and Computational Intelligence (8th semester) courses.
Ph. D,. Thesis Title: "Image processing method and feature extraction for writer verification". University of PatrasGreece 1996 - 2000
M. Sc, in Electronics Engineering, University of PatrasGreece 1994 - 1996
B. Sc. in Physics, University of PatrasGreece 1989 - 1994
University of West AtticaDept. of Electrical & Electronics Engineering 2019 - Today:
Analog Communications Laboratory- course. 5th Semester,Technological and Educational Institution of Athens
Digital Television, Theory and Laboratory' course. 7th Semester, Technological and Educational Institution of Athens
Programming with C++- Theory and Laboratory course. 2nd Semester, Technological and Educational Institution of Athens
Electronics and Communications Laboratory, Hellenic Army Academy, Vari, Hellas, 2001-2004 (Adjunct Professor)
Information Theory and Computer Applications, Hellenic Police Academy, Hellas, 2001-2004 (Adjunct Professor)
1994- 1999 University of Patras, Physics Dept.
Teaching Assistant, Course Title: "Electronics Measurements Laboratory", Electronics Lab., Physics Dept., University of Patras.
PublicationsJournals - Book Chapters:
1) E. N. Zois and V. Anastassopoulos, - Contour Features Using Morphological Transforms- , Electronics Letters, 34, (1), pp. 56-57, 1998.
2) E. N. Zois and V. Anastassopoulos, - Fusion of correlated decisions for writer verification- , Pattern Recognition, 32, (10), pp. 1821-1823, 1999.
3) E. N. Zois and V. Anastassopoulos, - Morphological waveform coding for writer identification I- , Pattern Recognition, 33, (3), pp. 385-398, 2000.
4) E. N. Zois and V. Anastassopoulos, - Fusion of correlated decisions for writer verification II- Pattern Recognition 34, (1), 2001.
5) E. N. Zois I. Raptis and V. Anastassopoulos, 'Off line metrology on SEM images using gray scale morphology'. Microchimica Acta, (4), April 2006.
6) S.Karabetsos, E. N. Zois and A. Nassiopoulos, - Contemporary Design and Development Tools for Advanced Systems Implementation and Evaluation to Education and Research, WSEAS Trans. On Circuit and Systems, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 1171-1178, July 2005.
7) C. Tselios, E. N .Zois, N. A. Livanos and A. Nassiopoulos, - A real time development of an automatic fingerprint identification system using the AFS8600 sensor and the C6713 DSP processor- , Physica Status Solidi, (c) Vol.5, 12, pp. 3846-3849, 2008.
8) K. Tselios, E. N .Zois, A. Nassiopoulos and G. Economou, 'Fusion of Directional Transitional Features for Off-Line Signature Verification', IEEE Biometrics Compendium.
9) K. Tselios, E. N .Zois, A. Nassiopoulos E. Siores and G. Economou, 'Grid-based feature distributions for off-line signature verification', IET Biometrics, 1, (1), pp. 72-81, 2012.
10) K. Barkoula, E. N. Zois, E. Zervas and G. Economou, 'Event Based Offline Signature Modeling Using Grid Source Probabilistic Coding', A. Petrosino, L. Maddalena, P. Pala (Eds.): LNCS 8158, pp. 77- 85, Springer Verlag, 2013.
11) K. Barkoula, E. N. Zois, E. Zervas and G. Economou, 'Offline signature verification based on probabilistic representation of grid events', - Advances in Digital Handwritten Signature Processing: A Human Artifact for e-society- , G. Pirlo, D. Impedovo and M. Fairhurst (Eds.), World Scientific, Aug. 2014.
12) E. N. Zois, Linda Alewijnse and G. Economou, "Offline signature verification and quality characterization using poset-oriented grid features", Pattern Recognition, 54 (6), pp. 162-177, 2016.
13) H. Loka, E. N. Zois, and G. Economou, "Long Range Correlation of Preceded Pixels Relations and Application to Off-line Signature Verification", IET Biometrics, DOI: 10.1049/iet-bmt.2016.0046, 2016.
14) A. Alexandridis, M. Stogiannos, N. Papaioannou, E. N. Zois, and H. Sarimveis, "An Inverse Neural Controller Based on the Applicability Domain of RBF Network Models", Sensors, 18, 1, 315, 2018.
15) E. N. Zois, A. Alexandridis and G. Economou, - Writer Independent Offline Signature Verification Based on Asymmetric Pixel Relations and Unrelated Training-Testing Datasets- Expert Systems with Applications, (ESWA) 125, 14-32 2019.
16) E. N. Zois, D. Tsourounis, I. Theodorakopoulos, A. Kesidis and G. Economou, - A comprehensive study of sparse representation techniques for offline signature verification- , IEEE transactions on Biometrics, Behavior, and Identity Science (IEEE T-BIOM), Vol. 1:(1), pp.68 - 81, 2019.
17) M. Papadimitrakis, N. Giamarelos, M. Stogiannos, E. N. Zois, N.A-I Livanos and A. Alexandridis, - Metaheuristic search in smart grid: A review with emphasis on planning, scheduling and power flow optimization applications-, Volume 145, 111072, 2021.
18) N. Giamarelos, E. N. Zois, M. Papadimitrakis, M. Stogiannos, N.A-I Livanos and A. Alexandridis, - Short-Term Electric Load Forecasting with Sparse Coding Methods-, IEEE Access, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3098121, 2021.
19) D. Tsourounis, I. Theodorakopoulos, E. N. Zois and G. Economou,- From Text to Signatures: Knowledge Transfer for Efficient Deep Feature Learning in Offline Signature Verification -,Expert Systems with Applications, (ESWA), DOI:10.1016/j.eswa.2021.116136, Mar 2022
1. E. N. Zois - Active filter synthesis using all pass filters- , Proc. of ECCTD-95, Istanbul, Turkey, 1995.
2. E. N. Zois and V. Anastassopoulos, - Methods for writer identification- , Proc. Int. Conf. on - lectronics Circuits and Systems, pp. 740-743, Rodos, Greece, 4-6 October, 1996.
3. E. N. Zois and V. Anastassopoulos - Decision Fusion for Writer Identification- , Proc. Int. Conf. DSP-97, pp. 687-690, Santorini, Greece, July, 1997.
4. E. N. Zois and V. Anastassopoulos, - Fusion of correlated decisions for Writer identification- , Proc. Third European Conference on Handwriting Analysis and Recognition, Brussels, pp. 8-14, July 1998.
5. I. Raptis, A. Olziersky, and E. N. Zois, - Processing issues on the e-beam lithographic performance of PMMA- , - - - -2003, European Conference on Electron Beam Technologies 2003 conference, Varna, Bulgaria.
6. S. Karabetsos, E. N. Zois and A. A. Nassiopoulos, Baseband system level design, simulation and implementation of an OFDM tranceiver using the TMS320C6713 DSK, Proceedings of the European DSP Education & Research Symposium, Birmingham November 16th 2004.
7. E. N. Zois, I. Raptis and V. Anastassopoulos, 'Off-line metrology on SEM images using gray scale morphology', Proceedings EMAS-05, May 2005, Florence, Italy.
8. E. N. Zois, S.Kontaki, G. Karabetsos, S. Evagelatos, G. Zebis, A. Nassiopoulos, 'The case of m-QAM modulations through a graphic environment using modern tools of simulation and implementation', proceedings of TEMU - 05, 23 - 25 June 2005, Herakleion, Crete, Greece.
9. E. N. Zois, A. A. Nassiopoulos and V. Anastassopoulos, 'Signature Verification Based on Line directionality', IEEE proc. SIPS - 05, Athens, Greece. DOI: 10.1109/SIPS.2005.1579890
10. E. N. Zois, E. Pikasis, Z. Kotsidimou, P. Tsitouras, and A. A. Nassiopoulos, 'Realization of a Signature Verification System Based On Morphological Transformation and Using the TMS320C6713 Digital Signal Processor', Proc. International Conference on Technology and Automation 2005, Thessaloniki, Greece.
11. E. N. Zois, E. Pikasis, Z. Kotsidimou, P. Tsitouras, and A. A. Nassiopoulos, - A Writer Verification System Using the TMS320C6713 Digital Signal Processor- , Proceedings of the 2nd European DSP Education & Research Symposium, Munich, Germany, Apr. 2006.
12. C. Tselios, E. N. Zois, N. A. Livanos and A. A. Nassiopoulos, - A real time development of an automatic fingerprint identification system using the AFS860 sensor and the C6713 DSP processor- . Proc. International Conference on Micro-Nano electronics, Nanotechnology & MEMs, Athens, Greece, Nov. 2007.
13. C. Tselios, E. N. Zois, N. A. Livanos, and A. A. Nassiopoulos, - Real time fingerprint identification using directional statistics and the C6713 DSP processor- , 3rd European DSP Education & Research Symposium, EDERS, - el Aviv, Israel, June 2008.
14. E. N. Zois and V. Anastasssopoulos, Modeling the Pattern Spectrum as a Markov process and its use for efficient shape classification. - - - - ICIP 2009, Cairo, Egypt, Nov 2009. DOI: 10.1109/ICIP.2009.5414424
15. A. Bozinaki, I. E. Venetis, N. A. Livanos, A. Nassiopoulos and E. N. Zois, 'The Art of Simulation: Migrating from DES tom PDES', TEMU - 2010, Chania, Greece, 2019.
16. S. Karabetsos, E. Pikasis, T. Nikas, E. N. Zois and A. Nassiopoulos, 'An educational Baseband SC-FDMA Transeiver using Matlab and the TMS320C6713 DSK', 4th European DSP Education & Research Conference, Nice, France,- Dec. 2010.
17. E. N. Zois, K. Tselios, E. Siores, A. Nassiopoulos, and G. Economou, "Off-Line Signature Verification Using Two Step Transitional Features," 12th IAPR Conference on Machine Vision Applications, Nara, Japan, 13-15 Jun. 2011.
18. K. Tselios, E. N. Zois, A. Nassiopoulos, S. Karabetsos, and G. Economou, "Automated Off-Line Writer Verification Using Short Sentences and Grid Features", Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Automated Forensic Handwriting Analysis and Recognition (AFHA-2011), Beijing, China, 17-18 Sep. 2011.
19. K. Tselios, E. N. Zois, A. Nassiopoulos and G. Economou, "Fusion of Directional Transitional Features for Off-Line Signature Verification", Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Biometrics (ICB-BTAS), IJCB 2011, Washington DC. U.S.A, 11-13 Oct. 2011.
20. V. Reggestad, N. A-I. Livanos, P. Antoniou and E. N. Zois, "Introducing Parallelization and Performance Optimization in Simulus Based Operational Simulatiors", Proceedings of the 5th International ICST Conference on Simulation Tools and Techniques, SIMUTools 2012, Desenzano, Italy - March 19-23, 2012.
21. K. Barkoula, E. N. Zois, E. Zervas and G. Economou, 'Off-Line Signature Verification based on Ordered Grid Features: An Evaluation', Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Automated Forensic Handwriting Analysis-AFHA2013, Washington DC, U.S.A, 22-23 Aug. 2013.
22. E. N. Zois, E. Zervas, K. Barkoula, G. Economou and S. Fotopoulos, ' Poset Description of Grid Features and Application to Off-Line Signature Verification', 14th international Conference on Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition (ICFHR-14), Heraclion, Greece, 1-4 Sep.2014.
23. A. Alexandridis, E. Chondrodima, G. Paivana, M. Stogiannos, E. N. Zois and H. Sarimveis, Music Genre Classification Using Radial Basis Function Networks and Particle Swarm Optimization, Proc of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering Conference (CEEC) , Essex, U.K, 25-26 Sep. 2014.
24.- E. Drakaki, M. Makropoulou, A.A. Serafetinides, Ch. Evangelatos, I.A. Sianoudis, E. N. Zois, E. Christofidou, A.J. Stratigos, A.D. Katsambas, Ch. Antoniou, - Comparative studies of fluorescence spectroscopy and optical coherence tomography for nonmelanoma skin cancer diagnosis- , - European Conferences on Biomedical Optics - ECBO- , paper No 9540-24, Munich - Germany, 21 - 25 June 2015.
25. E. Drakaki, I.A. Sianoudis, M. Makropoulou, N. Merlemis A.A. Serafetinides, Ch. Evangelatos, G. Mitsou, I. Valais, E. N. Zois, I. Vamvakas, I. Karachalios, D. Mathes, I. Kalatzis, M Kompitsas, E. Christofidou, M. Kosmadaki, I. Stefanaki, C. Dessinioti, A.J. Stratigos, A.D. Katsambas and Ch. Antoniou, - Light induced fluorescence and reflectance diagnostic spectroscopic technique in photodynamic therapy of skin cancer- , - SCience in Technology Conference SCinTE 2015- , Athens, Greece, 5-7 Nov. 2015.
26.- E. Drakaki, M. Makropoulou, A.A. Serafetinides, I.A. Sianoudis, E. N. Zois, E. Christofidou, A.J. Stratigos, A.D. Katsambas, Ch. Antoniou, - Non-invasive imaging of non melanoma skin cancer using fluorescence spectroscopy and optical coherence tomography- , poster presentation in - Wuppertal 2015 - DPG-Frühjahrstagung ((DPG Spring Meeting), Wuppertal, Germany, 9 - 13 March 2015.
27. E. N. Zois, I. Theodorakopoulos, D. Tsourounis and G. Economou, "Parsimonious Coding and Verification of Offline Handwritten Signatures", IEEE Computer Society Workshop on Biometrics, 2017 Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops, CVPR-17, Honolulu, U.S.A, 21-26 July 2017.
28. E. N. Zois, I. Theodorakopoulos and G. Economou, Offline Handwritten Signature Modeling and Verification Based on Archetypal Analysis, 2017 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 5514-5523,- ICCV 2017, Venice, Italy, 22-29 Oct. 2017.
29. D. Tsourounis, I. Theodorakopoulos, E. N. Zois, G. Economou, and S. Fotopoulos, " Handwritten Signature Verification via Deep Sparse Coding Architecture", 13th IEEE Image, Video, and Multidimensional Signal Processing (IVMSP) Workshop, Zagori, Greece, 10-12 June 2018.
30. E. N. Zois, M. Papagiannopoulou, D. Tsourounis and G. Economou, "Hierarchical Dictionary Learning and Sparse Coding for Static Signature Verification", IEEE Computer Society Workshop on Biometrics, 2018 Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops, CVPR-18, Salt Lake City, U.S.A, 18-22 June 2018.
31. E. N. Zois, D. Tsourounis, E. Zervas and G. Economou, "Sequential motif profiles and topological plots for offline signature verification", 2020 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2020 Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR-20, Seattle, U.S.A, 14-19 June 2020, pp.13248-13258.
Participation Into Funding Projects
Experienced Researcher. Ireact-NG (http://ireact-ng.telsip.uniwa.gr/)2018 - 2021
Theoretical Project Manager. ESA Greek Industry Call TRP Project, ESSE-Enhancement of the SimSat Engine.2011 - 2015
Information Society project, Remote Labs.2011 - 2015
Theoretical Project Manager. ESA TRP project, Linux and Multicore Processor Technology for Simulators.2009 - 2011
Project of the Hellenic general secretariat under title: Broadband Communications. Development simulation and realization of an OFDM multiplexing broadband system. Archimedes-042004 - 2007:
Research Infrastructure Project TEI of Athens 2004 under title:Athena 2004. Pattern Recognition - Biometrical Systems.2004 - 2006
This project aimed towards gathering literature concerning recent advantages and state of the art biometrical systems.
Project of Hellenic ministry of Education under title: - Reformation of Physics Department lecture courses EPEAEK1997 - 1999
Project of the Hellenic general secretariat (GSRT) under title: VLSI implementation of analogue to digital converters. PENED-951995 - 1998
Simulation and implementation of a high speed Analog to Digital Converter using the EURASIP tools.
- Office: Room Da5, Building A, Ancient Olive Grove Campus, Thivon 250, 12244, Aigaleo, Greece.
- Lab: Telsip laboratory, Room ZB203, Building Z, Ancient Olive Grove Campus, Thivon 250, 12244, Aigaleo, Greece.
- Phone: +30 210 5387204, +30 210 5381559, +30 210 5381225
- Fax: +30 210 5381226
- Email: ezois at uniwa dot gr
- Website: users.uniwa.gr/ezois
- Students office hours: Mon.(13.30-14.30) & Wed.(12.00-13.00)
- Google Scholar Id: Here
- Semantic Scholar Id: Here
- dblp Id: Here