| ||Alex Alexandridis
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
School of Engineering
University of West Attica
Tel: +30 210 5381571 (office), +30 210 5381336 (lab)
Dr. Alex Alexandridis holds a Diploma in Chemical Engineering (2000) and a PhD in Computational Intelligence and Control Systems (2003) from the National Technical University of Athens. He was a Postdoctoral Fellow with the Laboratory of Process Control and Informatics of NTUA from 2004 to 2009. In 2010 he has joined the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of the University of West Attica (former Department of Electronic Engineering of the TEI of Athens), where he currently serves as a Professor of Neural Networks. From 2015 to 2018 he was also an Adjunct Associate Professor of Automatic Control at the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the University of Thessaly.
Dr. Alexandridis is the author or co-author of more than 50 original publications in scientific journals with impact factor and more than 30 original publications in scientific conferences. His research interests include computational intelligence, optimization, nonlinear system modeling and control with emphasis on model predictive control methods, and applications to autonomous vehicles, energy systems, process engineering, materials science, geoscience and environmental science. Recently, he was included in the Stanford University List of Top 2% of Scientists Worldwide. His published work has been widely cited by other researchers, having received more than 1500 citations (excluding self-citations of all his co-authors) according to Scopus (h-index=27) and more than 2800 citations according to Google Scholar (h-index=31). Dr. Alexandridis has supervised, or is currently supervising, several PhD, postgraduate and undergraduate Theses in the areas of Computational Intelligence and Automatic Control and 5 of these Theses received awards of excellence from the Faculty of Technological Applications of the TEI of Athens. He was also the recepient of the Annual Academic Teaching Award by the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the University of Thessaly for three consecutive years, for instructing the course "Automatic Control". Dr. Alexandridis serves as member of the Editorial Board for a number of scientific journals including IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, Sensors, Results in Control and Optimization, Complexity, etc., and has been member of the organizing committee in international scientific conferences. Dr. Alexandridis has worked in National and European-funded research projects as a principal investigator and senior researcher, and was also the product manager in the development of software packages for neural network and automatic control industrial applications.
Recent key publications:
1. Kapnopoulos, A., A. Alexandridis, "A cooperative particle swarm optimization approach for tuning an MPC-based quadrotor trajectory tracking scheme", Aerospace Science and Technology, 127 (2022), 107725
2. Papadimitrakis, M., A. Alexandridis, "Active vehicle suspension control using road preview model predictive control and radial basis function networks", Applied Soft Computing, 120 (2022), 108646
3. Karamichailidou, D., S. Koletsios, A. Alexandridis, "An RBF online learning scheme for non-stationary environments based on fuzzy means and Givens rotations", Neurocomputing, 501 (2022), 370-386
4. Kalogeropoulos, I., A. Alexandridis, H. Sarimveis "Economic Oriented Dynamic Matrix Control of Wastewater Treatment Plants", Journal of Process Control, 118 (2022), 202-2017
5. Karamichailidou, D., A. Alexandridis, G. Anagnostopoulos, G. Syriopoulos, O. Sekkas, "Modeling biogas production from anaerobic wastewater treatment plants using radial basis function networks and differential evolution", Computers and Chemical Engineering, 157C (2022), 107629
6. Papadimitrakis, M., A. Kapnopoulos, S. Tsavartzidis, A. Alexandridis, "A cooperative PSO algorithm for Volt-VAR optimization in smart distribution grids", Electric Power Systems Research, 212 (2022), 108618
7. M. Papadimitrakis, N. Giamarelos, M. Stogiannos, E.N. Zois, N.A.I. Livanos, A. Alexandridis, "Metaheuristic search in smart grid: A review with emphasis on planning, scheduling and power flow optimization applications", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 145 (2021), 111072.
8. Karamichailidou, D., V. Kaloutsa, A. Alexandridis, "Wind turbine power curve modeling using radial basis function neural networks and tabu search", Renewable Energy, 163 (2021), 2137-2152.
9. Papadimitrakis, M. M. Stogiannos, H. Sarimveis, A. Alexandridis, "Multi-ship control and collision avoidance using MPC and RBF-based trajectory predictions", Sensors, 21(21) (2021) 6959.
10. Giamarelos, N, E. N. Zois, M. Papadimitrakis, M. Stogiannos, N.-A. I. Livanos and A. Alexandridis, "Short-Term Electric Load Forecasting With Sparse Coding Methods," IEEE Access, 9 (2021), pp. 102847-102861.
11. Stogiannos, M., A. Alexandridis, H. Sarimveis, "An enhanced decentralized artificial immune-based strategy formulation algorithm for swarms of autonomous vehicles", Applied Soft Computing, 89 (2020), 106135.
12. Zois E.N., A. Alexandridis, G. Economou, "Writer independent offline signature verification based on asymmetric pixel relations and unrelated training-testing datasets", Expert Systems with Applications, 125 (2019), Pages 14-32.
13. Stogiannos, M., A. Alexandridis, H. Sarimveis, "Model predictive control for systems with fast dynamics using inverse neural models", ISA Transactions, 72 (2018), Pages 161-177.
14. Alexandridis A, E. Chondrodima, N. Giannopoulos, H. Sarimveis, "A Fast and Efficient Method for Training Categorical Radial Basis Function Networks", IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 28(11) (2017), pp. 2831 - 2836.
15. Alexandridis A, E. Chondrodima, H. Sarimveis, "Cooperative learning for radial basis function networks using particle swarm optimization", Applied Soft Computing, 49, (2016), pp. 485-497.
16. Alexandridis A, E. Chondrodima, "A medical diagnostic tool based on radial basis function classifiers and evolutionary simulated annealing", Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 49, (2014), pp. 61-72.
17. Alexandridis A, E. Chondrodima, E. Efthimiou, G. Papadakis, F. Vallianatos, D. Triantis, "Large earthquake occurrence estimation based on radial basis function neural networks", IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 52(9) (2014), pp. 5443-5453.
18. Alexandridis, A., E. Chondrodima, H. Sarimveis, "Radial Basis Function network training using a non-symmetric partition of the input space and Particle Swarm Optimization", IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 24 (2013), pp. 219-230.